The Château de Selles-sur-Cher, abandoned for over 10 years, awakens to tell us its story.
Thibault de Champagne (935), Comte de Blois, is at the origin of the first dungeon constructed on the site. Towards 1140, Ginon de Mehun built a fortified castle there. In 1604, Philippe de Béthune, added the two Pavillons Carrés based on the plans of Jacques II Androuet du Cerceau. In 1810, the Marquis de Bartillat carried out a number of significant transformations. In 1813 the ‘Bande Noire’ rebels destroyed part of the château. In 1880, the Moulinet D’Hardemare family undertook major repair work.
Abandoned and negelected for 10 years, the Château de Selles-sur-Cher became, in early 2012, the private property of a family of staunch supporters of our heritage who opened it to the public.
It’s certainly one of the most unusual châteaux of the Coeur Val de Loire and in particular of the Cher Valley because of its series of constructions dating from different periods.
It is also one of the sites listed in the ‘Family fun’ offer because of the many activities available for children, including a tour with a roadbook, the little farm and its stables, the construction of a medieval castle out of building blocks and a rope-making session.